Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


**** COVID-19 UPDATE ****

As of 24 March 2020 the physical office of the Merit Protection Boards (MPB) will be temporarily closed, as part of the government's measures to help address the Coronavirus pandemic. However we do intend to keep accepting and hearing grievances and appeals under a different operating model. 

MPB staff will be working online to respond to emails and where a phone call is not answered directly, please leave a voice message and we will respond as quickly as possible. 

Grievances and appeals can still be submitted online or via email however any scheduled hearings will be conducted using a remote solution such as Webex, Skype or by telephone conference calls.  When scheduling hearings, the use of technology will be discussed with you and you will be sent as much information as possible to assist you to confidently participate. 

We are committed to being as flexible as possible in setting up the hearing schedules and thank you for your understanding of our endeavours. 

About Merit Protection Boards

The Merit Protection Boards is an independent statutory body established to hear grievances; appeals and reviews from employees of the Department of Education and Training (Victoria).

Read more


Teaching Service, CRTs and school council employees

Members of the Teaching Service such as executive class, principals, assistant principals, teachers, and education support staff may be eligible to lodge a grievance (selection or personal) in relation to an action or decision which has been taken against them. Appeals against disciplinary action taken by the Department may be made to the Disciplinary Appeals Boards.  Whilst not members of the Teaching Service, casual relief teachers and school council employees may also be eligible to lodge a personal grievance in relation to an action or decision which has been taken against them.

Read more​


Victorian Public Service

Victorian Public Service employees (Executive Officers, VPS, Allied Health and Nurses) may be eligible to lodge an application for a Review of Action in relation to an action or decision which has been taken against them.